The Atlas Leadership Academy is a year-long program of skills development and career enrichment for some of the Atlas Family’s highest-potential managers. The program recognizes and develops talented early and mid-career leaders across our portfolio companies through a three-pronged curriculum we call the “3Es”.
The Atlas Leadership Academy strengthens leadership pipelines, develops core skills and key behaviors and exposes Atlas’ high potential managers to professionals across the Atlas Family.
Atlas Leadership Academy Mission
Recognize, nurture and reward Atlas' high potential managers and assist them in becoming tomorrow’s leaders who are equipped to deliver breakthrough business results.
Participants in the Academy attend a series of Seminars led by the Academy’s Director, Shaker Chandrasekaran and other Atlas Operating Partners and Leaders. The 3E Curriculum refers to Education in theory, Exposure to case studies and Atlas’ industry leaders and Experience across roles and opportunities.
- Shaping winning strategies
- Driving change
- Inspiring execution
- Building partnerships
- Developing tomorrow’s leaders
- Committing to and delivering results
Participants are nominated by the CEOs of Atlas Portfolio Companies and selected by a committee of Operating Partners and leaders within the Atlas Family.
Each class of participants represent a cross section of the Atlas Companies and are selected for Passion, Performance, Potential and Personal commitment to deliver breakthrough results.
Class of 2016
The Atlas Leadership Academy’s Class of 2016 features seventeen participants from across the Atlas companies, and is an impressive group of talented and motivated mid-career leaders:
- Alberto Ruiz Guillot, Aludium, Aludium Alicante Plant Director
- Hermen Nassette, ASG, General Manager – Holland Facility
- Selda Tastan, ASG, Safety and Human Resources in UK and Holland
- Erick Peterson, Banker Steel, Sales and Marketing Manager – Mid Atlantic Region
- Robert Cullen, Detroit Renewable Energy, Senior Accountant
- Larry Butts, Erickson Construction, General Manager – Arizona Frame Division
- Joseph Hall, Finch Paper, Director of Strategic Sourcing
- Russ Lamm, Merchants Metals, Service Center/District Manager
- Anthony Nolan, Merchants Metals, Branch Manager – Lawerenceville GA
- David Garrett, Motus Integrated Technologies, Director of Business Development
- Sarah Thuo, Novipax, Director of Supply Chain & Operations Analytics
- Stacy Sifleet, Novipax, Director Pricing & Customer Analytics
- Paul Drace, RedBuilt, Director of Marketing
- Brian Pasmore, Soundview Paper, Market Analyst
- Bambi Gorman, Soundview Paper, VP of Commercial Operations
- Phillip Dubois, Twin Rivers Paper, Business Analyst
- Ray Iesalnieks, Veritas Steel, Quality Manager
About the Director
The Atlas Leadership Academy is led by Shaker Chandrasekaran, a former senior executive at Weyerhaeuser with more than four decades of experience in the pulp and paper industry and a lifelong passion for managerial science and developing tomorrow’s leaders. Until 2014, Shaker was responsible for the financial performance of the Cellulose Fibers segment at Weyerhaeuser which includes three global businesses, Specialty Pulp, Liquid Packaging Board and the Printing Papers and encompasses Weyerhaeuser Engineering Services. He was also Weyerhaeuser’s Corporate Safety Champion.
Earlier in his career, Shaker led the turnaround of the 95 year old Kingsport Paper Mill into one of the most modern mills in North America and reduced RIR from 11 in 1993 to less than 1 eight years later. Since assuming responsibility for Cellulose Fibers in December 2006, Shaker took the segment from losing money in 2005 to generate EBITDA of $3.5 billion from 2006 to 2014 and to reduce RIR from 3.7 to .37.
Shaker holds an M.S. in Paper Science and Engineering from Miami University, Ohio; a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from University of Madras, India and completed the Stanford Executive Program.